Uma Thurman Trivia
Birth name: Uma Karuna Thurman
Date of birth: 29 April 1970
Place of birth: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Height: 6′ (1.83 m)
Spouse: Ethan Hawke (1 May 1998 – 20 July 2004) (divorced) 2 children, Gary Oldman (October 1990 – 1992) (divorced).
- French cosmetics firm Lancome have employed her as a spokesmodel for their company. [June 2000]
- Daughter, with Ethan Hawke, Maya Ray Thurman-Hawke born. [8 July 1998]
- Ranked #99 in Empire (UK) magazine’s “The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time” list. [October 1997]
- Former model.
- Her father, Robert Thurman, is a professor of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist Studies at Columbia University School of Religion. He was the first westerner to become a Tibetan Buddhist monk. Uma was named for a Hindu goddess.
- Her mother is a Swedish model-turned-psychotherapist Nena, who was discovered at 16 in Stockholm by photographer Norman Parkinson. A nude statue of Nena’s mother, Brigit Holmquist, a famous beauty and later baroness, stands in the port town of Trelleborg. Salvador Dalí, introduced Nena to her first husband, Timothy Leary.
- Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#20). 
- Granddaughter of Baron Karl von Schlebrugg.
- Uma’s middle name, Karuna, is one of the four sublime abodes in Buddhism. It means “compassion.” The other 3 sublime abodes are Metta (Loving kindness), Mudita (Sympathetic joy), and Upekkha (Equanimity).
- With husband Ethan Hawke, gave birth to 7lb. 15 oz. son, Roan, on 15 January 2002.
- Attended Northfield Mount Hermon boarding school in Northfield, Massachusetts during her freshman and sophomore years, approximately twenty five miles from her home town at the time, Amherst, Massachusetts.
- Named after the goddess of light and beauty in Indian Mythology.
- Uma and Ethan Hawke’s daughter’s name is Maya; which is also the name of the character that Uma played in Duke of Groove (1996) (TV).
- Has shades of Lancome lipsticks named after her (available only in Asia).
- Her mother, Nena, was once married to LSD proponent Timothy Leary. The marriage lasted less than a year (1964-1965). Their marriage, which took place in Nepal, was the subject of a 15-minute documentary entitled “You’re Nobody Till Somebody Loves You.” Nena married Uma’s father, Robert Thurman, two years later in 1967.
- Has three brother with equally unusual, exotic names: Ganden, Dechen (who is an actor and director) and Mipam.
- Sister of Dechen Thurman and Ganden Thurman and the daughter of Nena Thurman and Robert Thurman
- Wears a size 11 shoe.
- Measurements: 34C-24-35 (as an Elite model- 1988), 35 1/2C-24-35 (actress – 1995), (Source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine)
- In Portuguese, her name means “one”.
- She is on the Board of Directors of Room to Grow, a non-profit organization founded by Rob Reiner, dedicated to enriching the lives of babies born into poverty throughout their critical first 3 years of development.
- Her uncle, John Thurman, is a professional concert cellist who performs with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.
- Supported the Junior Senator (John Kerry) from her native state (Massachusetts) for President of the United States.
- Originally cast for the part of Eowyn in the _Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The (2002)
- In Polynesian, her name means “kiss”.
- Former husband Ethan Hawke’s book was dedicated to her (“For Karuna”).
- Former sister-in-law of Laila Morse.
- Shares a birthday with actress Michelle Pfeiffer, actors Daniel Day-Lewis and Jerry Seinfeld, and was born on the same day as tennis star Andre Agassi.
- She attended Amherst Regional Middle School, Massachusetts for grade 7 and 8 and had Ester Haskell as an English teacher. She later visited that school to contribute to the Women’s History assembly. The children were thrilled