Orlando Bloom Trivia
Birth name: Orlando Jonathan Blanchard Bloom
Date of birth: 13 January 1977
Place of birth: Canterbury, Kent, England, UK
Nickname: Orli, OB
Height: 5′ 11″ (1.80 m)
- During the filming for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001), he fell off his horse and broke one of his ribs.
- Chosen as one of Teen People Magazine’s “25 Hottest Stars Under 25.” 
- Originally auditioned to play the role of “Faramir” in the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy but lost out on that role and was instead asked to play the role of Legolas.
- Learned to surf during the filming of the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy in New Zealand.
- He won the 2002 MTV Movie Award for “Breakthrough Male.”
- Was nominated with the entire The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) cast for “Best Ensemble Acting” at the Screen Actors Guild Awards.
- Won the award at the 2002 Empire Awards for “Best Debut.”
- Underwent a great deal of training with knives, horseback riding, canoeing and archery before his role as Legolas.
- According to Screensavers.com, Orlando Bloom replaced Britney Spears at the top of the website’s celebrity download index in January, 2004.
- On People (USA) magazine’s ’50 Most Beautiful’ list .
- Web-site Ananova chose him as the sexiest actor in Britain. 
- One of People magazine’s “Hottest Bachelors” in 2004.
- His cousin, the photographer/director Sebastian Copeland, is Brigitte Nielsen’s ex-husband.
- He made archery a very popular sport in the UK. Many youngsters saw him with a bow in the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy and decided to join archery schools.
- Chosen as Teen People’s #1 Hottie for the October 2004 issue.
- Chosen as the sexiest male movie star by Empire Magazine. Overall he was 3rd; ahead of him were Keira Knightley (1st) and Angelina Jolie (2nd). [September 2004]
- He used to be a vegetarian, but he had to go back to eating meat when he was filming The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001).
- Named as one of nine “off the charts” sexy superstars by People Magazine in 2004, along with Jake Gyllenhaal, Usher Raymond, Colin Farrell, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Bruce Willis, and Johnny Depp.
- Was visited by Countess Seidy Maria Lopez during the filming of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) in New Zealand.
- Received a great amount of “stage combat” training while at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama (as part of the drama program in conjunction with the British Academy of Stage and Theatre Combat), which helped prepare him a great deal in the characters he has choosen to play, that fight with swords, bows and knives.
- He has received an invitation to join the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) in Stratford Upon Avon, which he plans to do in the near future when he has some time off from working on film. His goal is to perform Hamlet on the Swan stage (RSC main), one of Shakespeare’s most challenging works.
- Voted #1 star most women would like to kiss under the mistletoe in a poll for Sky Movies.
- Has an older sister, Samantha Bloom.
- Graduated from the Guildhall School of Music and Drama (1999)
- Amusingly enough, his 2000 guest appearance in the television show, “Midsomer Murders” (1997) references and discusses J.R.R. Tolkien’s masterpiece “The Lord of the Rings” (Particularly “Lothlorien”), for which he was eventually cast (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)).
- Found his dog, Sidi, while filming Kingdom of Heaven (2005).
- Shares his birthday with Liya Kebede, Traci Bingham, Penelope Ann Miller and Nick Clooney.
- Wears a replica of the One Ring that says “To wherever it may lead.” It was given to him by one of the makeup artists on LOTR.
- Is “mildly dyslexic”.
- Has three A-Levels. One A in Art, one A in Photography and one C in Religious Studies.
- Can speak French.
- His first car was a dark green VW Golf that costed £160.
- His first job was as a clay trapper at a pigeon shooting range when he was 13.
- His favorite vegetable is spinach.
- First concert he attended was in Canterbery watching Jamiroquai.
- Supports English football team Manchester United.
- He used to smoke, but quit in 2002, which started making him bite his nails instead.
- Was listed as a potential nominee on the 2005 Razzie Award nominating ballot. He was suggested in the Worst Supporting Actor category for his performance in the film Troy (2004), he failed to receive a nomination however.
- Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley have stated that they would not reprise their roles in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011) as they want to be involved in different movies, and that they thought the Will/Elizabeth story line had gone as far as it could.