Matthew McConaughey Trivia
Birth name: Matthew David McConaughey
Date of birth: 4 November 1969
Place of birth: Uvalde, Texas, USA
Height: 6′ 0½” (1.84 m)
- McConaughey, the youngest of three boys, was born in Uvalde, Texas on November 4th, 1969.
- He is of “Scotch-Irish” ancestry (the surname McConaughey means “son of Duncan” in Gaelic).
- His late father, James Donald McConaughey, ran a Texaco gas station, worked as a truck driver, and was a former professional football player (for the Green Bay Packers, drafted in 1953).
- His mother, Mary Kathlene “Kay” McCabe, was a substitute schoolteacher.
- His parents divorced and re-married each other several times, in what McConaughey describes as a “loving, but unstable relationship”.
- Lived briefly in Australia following high school and adopted an Australian accent for awhile after returning to the USA.
- McConaughey had what he describes as a conservative Christian upbringing.
- Education: University of Texas at Austin (Film).
- McConaughey moved to Longview, Texas in 1980 and, after graduating from Longview High School in 1988, where he was voted the most handsome, Matthew lived briefly in Australia.
- Brother of Rooster McConaughey.
- Arrested in Oct 1999 in Austin, Texas for “resisting transportation” after first being under suspicion for marijuana possession.
- Police responded to a disturbance call at Matthew’s home in Austin, Tx. in October. When they arrived, the music was blaring and he was playing bongo drums in the nude. He was with an unknown man and police attempted to arrest him after spotting illegal drugs. He resisted arrest.
- Was the first choice to play the lead in Titanic (1997).
- Traveled around Peru after filming A Time to Kill (1996).
- He studied film direction at the University of Texas at Austin and was a member of Delta Tau Delta Fraternity, graduating in 1993.
- Voted “Most Handsome” in his Senior year of high school.
- Member of Delta Tau Delta International Fraternity.
- His father was at one time a professional football player for the Green Bay Packers
- His favorite sport is golf.
- He owns a 1,600-acre ranch in west Texas, which he purchased for $500,000.
- His father died of a heart attack in August 1992.
- His first professional acting job was in a beer commercial.
- Fan of John Mellencamp’s music. Was seen wearing a tee shirt from Mellencamp’s “Whenever We Wanted” tour in A Time to Kill (1996).
- Born on the same day as Sean ‘P. Diddy’ Combs.
- Was on the sidelines of the Texas Longhorns during the 2005 Rose Bowl where the Longhorns beat the USC Trojans 41-38
- Was accompanied by Penélope Cruz to the Grammy Awards in 2005. The couple met on the set of Sahara (2005).
- Served as the Grand Marshall for the Daytona 500 in Daytona Beach, Florida in February 2005.
- He traveled around the United States for a month in his personal Airsteam trailer promoting his movie Sahara (2005).
- During a guest appearance on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” (1992), Leno surprised him with an old airline training tape he had acted in. McConaughey had no memory of being in the video.
- Is of Irish descent
- Despite being a native Texan, he’s a big fan of the Washington Redskins NFL team.
- People Magazine’s 2005 Most Sexiest Man Alive
- Turned down a role in The Jackal (1997).
- Was considered for a role in Speed 2: Cruise Control (1997).
- His life motto is “Just Keep Living”
- His brother, Michael McConaughey, aka Rooster, had a son and named him Miller Lyte McConaughey.
- Doesn’t wear deodorant or cologne.
- On October 25, 1999, McConaughey was arrested at his home in Austin, Texas; the charges included possession of marijuana and resisting arrest.
- Has three bedrooms in his house and sleeps in all of them in turn.
- Announced that he is auctioning his 1971 Chevy Stingray Corvette on Ebay, and donating all the money to Oprah’s Angel Network Hurricane Katrina and Rita relief funds.
- He has dated actress Sandra Bullock, as well as Penelope Cruz.
- The two had been together since 2004, soon after Cruz broke up with Tom Cruise in January 2004.
- The couple split in April of 2006. McConaughey is currently enjoying single life with his friends and has been seen with a number of different women at clubs around the United States.
- He doesn’t currently have a specific love interest of note.
- The very fit McConaughey has spent much of the summer of 2006 enjoying some healthy hobbies such as running, surfing, swimming and biking as documented frequently by the paparazzi.
- Has worked with such well-known directors as Steven Spielberg, Robert Zemeckis, Richard Linklater, and Jonathan Mostow.
- Is good friends with Lance Armstrong.
- In 2005, People magazine named him their “Sexiest Man Alive”.
- In 2005, the actor is alleged to have frightened away a coyote that was threatening a mother and her child in a Los Angeles park.
- An Oprah Winfrey episode from that same year also showed McConaughey participating in a rescue of various pets, including cats, dogs and hamsters, that were stranded after the flooding of New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina.
- In 2006 in Sherman Oaks, California, he reportedly snatched a cat away from two youths who had doused the animal in hairspray and were attempting to light it on fire.
- In July 2006, McConaughey’s latest foibles in real life were documented via “McConaughey’s Lost Weekend.”, a blog with photographs of a “three-day bender in Costa Rica.”
- In 2006, he co-starred with Sarah Jessica Parker in the romantic comedy, Failure to Launch, which was a success at the box office.
- In June 2010 it was announced that McConaughey is teaming up with Marc Hyman to develop a scripted comedy for FX (TV Network) based on material from J.R. Reed.