Kate Winslet Trivia
Birth name: Kate Elizabeth Winslet
Date of birth: 5 October 1975
Place of birth: Reading, Berkshire, England, UK
Nickname: English Rose
Height: 5′ 6½” (1.69 m)
Spouse: Sam Mendes (24 May 2003 – present) 1 child, James Threapleton (22 November 1998 – 13 December 2001) (divorced) 1 child.
- Daughter Mia was born (in England) on the 12th October 2000, weighing in at 8 pounds 9 ounces.
- Kate met husband, James Threapleton, on the set of her movie Hideous Kinky (1998), where he was working as an assistant director.
- Won a Grammy for Best Spoken Word Album for Children (2000).
- Turned down the Gwyneth Paltrow role in Shakespeare in Love (1998) and the Jodie Foster role in Anna and the King (1999).
- Has very large feet and wears size 11 shoes.
- At age 11 began attending the acting school Redroofs in Maidenhead, England, UK.
- Dated Rufus Sewell.
- Sister of Anna Winslet and Beth Winslet.
- The youngest actress ever to be nominated for two Academy Awards (for Sense and Sensibility (1995) and Titanic (1997)). 
- Dated Stephen Tredre. [1991-1995]
- Her first acting job was dancing with the Honey Monster in a commercial for Sugar Puffs cereal.
- Nominated for Best Supporting Actress, Manchester Evening News Award for her role in “What the Butler Saw.”
- Chosen by People (USA) magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world. 
- Won Best British Actress, Empire Magazine Awards for Heavenly Creatures (1994).
- Younger brother, Joss.
- Parents: Roger Winslet (actor) and Sally Bridges-Winslet.
- After her first success in the film Heavenly Creatures (1994) a reviewer predicted that she would always be associated with that character, and would never be a big star.
- Recorded a song for the soundtrack for the movie Christmas Carol: The Movie (2001). Producers were so impressed at her efforts they have decided to release the ballad – called “What If?” – as a single. It reached the top ten in the UK. [June 2001]
- Announced that she and husband James Threapleton are splitting up. [3 September 2001]
- [November 2001] Confirms that she is dating director Sam Mendes.
- Purchased a $3 million (US) home in London with boyfriend (later husband) Sam Mendes.
- Holds a unique position in Academy Awards history: only twice have two actresses been nominated for playing the same role in the same film. The first was Gloria Stuart and Kate in Titanic (1997). The second was Judi Dench and Kate in Iris (2001).
- Married director Sam Mendes in a private ceremony whilst on holiday in the West Indies in May, 2003.
- Daughter Mia’s name is Italian for “mine”.
- Has sung in 5 of her films
- Prefers to wear boots rather than ordinary shoes because it makes her feel that her feet are “firmly on the ground.”
- Missed the premiere of Titanic (1997) because she was attending the funeral of close friend and former boyfriend, Stephen Tredre.
- Son, Joe Alfie Winslet Mendes, was born on December 22, 2003, in New York, and weighed 7 pounds and 13 ounces.
- Resides in both London, England and New York City, America.
- Has a nephew, George.
- Is residing in New York City while she and husband Sam Mendes work on separate projects. After the projects are finished, they will go back home to England. 
- Sprained her ankle on the set of Romance & Cigarettes (2005) in May 2004.
- She sold her North London home in Belsize Park to Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin.
- Was considered for the role of Bridget in Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001) but it was then decided she was too young to portray the role.
- On the day she had to film the straightjacket scene in Hamlet (1996), she learned she had won the role of Rose in Titanic (1997).
- While serving as host of “Saturday Night Live” (1975) one week after Ashlee Simpson’s “recorded song malfunction,” she opened the show by singing and dancing live.
- Bust size 1996 – 34C
- Born in the same year and on the same day as Parminder Nagra.
- Is the first actress to receive four Oscar nominations before turning 30.
- Recently bought a home in New York City. Her main home, however, is in Cotswolds, England.
- Was born in the same hospital as her husband, Sam Mendes.
- Filmed her 2005 American Express commercial in Camden Town, London, England.
- First screen kiss was with Melanie Lynskey in Heavenly Creatures (1994).
- Was Peter Jackson’s first choice to star in King Kong.
- Her performance as Clementine Kruczynski in “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” (2004) is ranked #81 on Premiere Magazine’s 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- Winslet is set to headline the HBO miniseries Mildred Pierce, a five-hour remake of the 1945 film of the same name, with production slated to begin in April 2010.
- She was cast in the Steven Soderbergh disaster film, Contagion which is scheduled to film in the fall of 2010.